December 14, 2018
Mice are notorious pests in the Northern United States, especially when the cold weather settles in for the winter months. Mice will be driven inside homes to find warmth, shelter, food, and water for their growing families. This is a huge problem for homeowners because mice are not a healthy addition to any household! It is inevitable that mice will cause some, if not a lot, of serious damage.
Mice and other rodents spread dangerous diseases like Salmonella and dysentery, by depositing germs on countertops and other surfaces. Their urine and feces can be found throughout attics, crawl spaces, basements, kitchens, and pantries. Mice can also introduce parasites into a home that can cause other serious health problems for humans and pets, such as Lyme disease from ticks and tapeworm from fleas.
Mice and rats are constantly chewing in order to maintain their incisors, and with all that chewing, they are able to cause significant damage to structures, furniture, insulation, clothing, books, and other personal belongings. Their chewing becomes much more serious when it involves electrical wires that can spark a fire or plumbing pipes that can cause flooding or water damage.
It is really important to keep mice out of your living spaces in the first place to avoid the dangerous consequences of them infesting your home. Here are some helpful mouse prevention tips:
- Get rid of clutter inside and outside of your home
- Take out your trash on a regular basis
- Clean up food and drink spills immediately
- Store food in sturdy containers with tight-fitting lids
- Keep outdoor garbage away from your home and secure it with tight-fitting covers
- Cut back shrubs and trees from around the outside of your home
- Seal all gaps and cracks in your home’s foundation and exterior walls
- Make sure you have a cap on all of your chimneys
- Repair all lose or missing siding and roofing shingles
Even when these tips are followed, mice can still find their way inside your house. Once they have made entry into your home, they are very hard to get rid of since they will nest in places people can’t find or get to. The best way to eliminate mice and/or prevent them from gaining access into your home is by calling on the professionals at Pine State Pest Control. We offer pest control services including effective comprehensive rodent control performed by experienced professional technicians. Don’t let the worry of health risks and damage from mice get you down, call on Pine State Pest at the first sign of a mouse infestation.