January 15, 2019
If you live in Auburn, you have probably seen a squirrel at least once or twice. If you live in a more rural area of Maine, chances are you see them all the time. Some people really love squirrels, others not so much, especially if a garden is involved. One thing is certain, squirrels stop being adorable when they invade our homes. It is one thing to see them running about in the park, scurrying up trees. It’s a whole other experience to have them in your attic, scampering about at all hours of the night. Is your home safe from invading squirrels this winter?
Why Squirrels are a Common Winter Pest
Maine winters can be brutal, for all creatures. Squirrels feel no differently. A long time ago, when cold and snow would sweep over the land, squirrels would have no option but to find a nook, hunker down, and try to stay warm. As time has gone by, a new, more advanced nook was built around them. We call it, “the home”. To us, “the home” is a place for laughter, a place to rest our heads after a long day out, a place to call, well, home. To squirrels, though, all they see is one thing - easily accessible warmth. If they can find a way in, they will choose a home in a heartbeat over any nook found in the wild.
What Can You Do?
When it comes to stopping squirrels from invading our homes, there are a few things you can do.
- Keep bird feeders as far away from your home as possible. If you feed squirrels, keep in mind that the closer to your home their feeding place, the better the chances they will invade when winter hits.
- Remove entry points. Inspect the exterior of your home for damage or holes squirrels could use to get inside, and have these areas repaired.
- Replace any loose or missing shingles.
- Consider installing chimney caps on any and all of your chimneys.
- Call a professional. Nothing keeps squirrels out of homes better than someone who has been doing it for years.
The Best Tip to Prevent Squirrels
Here at Pine State Pest Solutions, squirrel prevention is our specialty. Don’t let potential home invasion this winter be left up to chance, let your friends here at Pine State Pest Solutions help. We got into this business so that people like you wouldn’t have to do this alone. Contact us and find the solution that is right for you!